Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff

Its the first week of hubby's night classes. That means that I'm flying solo in the evenings for the next 2 years or so. That also means that I need quick and easy dinner recipes so that I'll have time to feed, bathe, and put my daughter to sleep myself, on top of getting everything ready for work the next day. While shopping at the grocery store last week, the first thing I thought of making was a huge batch of my bolognese sauce. That should cover at least 3-4 different meals (Spaghetti, lasagna, baked pasta, moussaka). Then I thought, "The crockpot!" I remembered glancing over some quick crockpot chicken recipes that I wanted to try out when the time came. So this was the first recipe I wanted to try from cdkitchen.com. It only had 5 ingredients and looked pretty easy.

When I made it for dinner today, I came home to an almost dried out crockpot. I guess that was my mistake, because the directions said to only cook for 6 hours. But I didn't get home until 4 hours later, so it sat in the crockpot. The color didn't look anything like the picture and didn't look too edible. I poured it over some cooked pasta, and when I finally had a chance to taste it, the chicken was very dry and tasted pretty bland. My daughter liked the pasta, though, and she ate quite a bit of it. I don't think I'll be making this again. I decided not to take a picture of it, but I thought to add it here anyway. Maybe someone else will have better luck with this recipe.

6 pieces boneless, skinless chicken
1 can condensed mushroom soup
16 oz sour cream (I used plain yogurt because I didn't have sour cream)
1 envelope of dry onion soup mix
water

1) Pour enough water to cover just the bottom of the crockpot pan. Place chicken on top of water.

2) Combine the remaining ingredients together and pour over chicken. Cook in crockpot on low for 6 hours. Serve over egg noodles or rice.

No comments: