Sunday, August 30, 2009

Lemon Bars

I've been making lemon bars for years using this recipe. I used to make them out of a box, and like my other recipes, I wanted to learn how to make it from scratch. I'm fortunate enough to have parents who have a lemon tree. Whenever they have a huge harvest of lemons, I would ask for bags and bags of them so I can make fresh lemonade, lemon cake and lemon bars. They haven't had a large harvest yet this year, but I managed to pick a few lemons for this recipe.

2 sticks (8 ounces) butter
2 cups flour
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
4 beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
4 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon peel
sifted confectioner's sugar

1) Preheat oven to 325 deg F. Cut butter into the 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar. Blend until mixture is crumbly. Pat mixture into ungreased 13x9x2 in pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

2) Combine eggs, sugar, 4 Tbsp. flour, lemon juice, and lemon peel and mix with a hand mixer. Pour mixture on top of hot crust. Bake for 20 minutes. Cut into bars and sift confectioner's sugar over the top while it is warm.

No comments: