Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pancit Canton

As a lot of people probably already know, my daughter loves pastas and noodles. So when I was at the Filipino store the other day, I decided to buy the ingredients for Pancit Canton to make for her. Pancit Canton is the Filipino version of the Chinese Chow Mein. Its another staple in the Filipino kitchen. Its so common at many Filipino functions. I hadn't felt the need to make it myself because I ate so much of it at other people's places or at restaurants. And I'm somewhat of a Pancit Canton "snob." There's a certain way it has to be prepared, and a certain taste that I look for. Aristorcrat, one of my favorite restaurants in Manila, makes the best Pancit Canton. Its one of my favorites. I don't think I've ever had anything that can compare. Therefore, I have never really attempted to make it myself, for fear that it might not come out as good as I like it. Until now.

Again, I would normally use the powder stuff, but I found a recipe I wanted to try out. Its a pretty simple recipe and it came out pretty good. Its not as good as Aristocrat's, but it'll do. Hubby and daughter loved it, so I'll definitely make it again.

3 Tbsp. oil
1 cup sliced chicken
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chicken broth
10 pieces snow peas, sliced in half
1/2 medium carrot, sliced
1 cup cabbage, chopped
1 cup sliced celery
1 can mushrooms
1 package canton noodles

1) Sprinkle fish sauce and cornstarch over chicken and thoroughly coat. Set aside.

2) Heat oil in a wok. Add garlic and onions and sautee for about a minute, making sure not to burn the garlic. Add chicken mixture and cook until it is no longer pink.

3) Add soy sauce, black pepper, salt and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add snow peas, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to your taste and add cabbage. Cook until cabbage is almost done.

4) Add the Canton noodles. Stir until noodles are done and most of the broth has been absorbed. Serve hot.

No comments: