Friday, August 7, 2009

Tzatziki sauce

In an attempt to see if I can save money by making my own (plus I forgot to buy some), I decided to try to make Tzatziki sauce for my get together with the girls tonight. You'll see Tzatziki sauce in a lot of Mediterranean menus and has many different names for it. Tzatziki sauce is actually the Greek name for this awesome cucumber yogurt sauce. This turned out awesome with the Kabobs and rice pilaf I bought for dinner. This recipe calls for thick Greek yogurt, but you can also use plain yogurt that you strain the liquid out of. It turns into the consistency of soft cream cheese. Which is what I did.

48 oz plain yogurt, strained out of its liquid
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
1 Tbsp. dill
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. lemon juice
salt to taste

1) Combine lemon juice and oil in a medium bowl. Fold in yogurt and mix well.

2) Add garlic according to your taste, cucumber and dill. Mix well. Add salt to taste.

No comments: