I've been wanting to make some apple donuts because we always buy loads of apples from Costco. Don't get me wrong. Hubby and daughter loves eating them, but I just wanted to make something out of them other than eating them on their own. Then I found an awesome recipe for Apple Cider Beignets from Smells Like Home. OMG were these delicious! And easy to make. I especially love dipping it in the caramel sauce. The original recipe includes making the caramel from scratch. But I had some caramel sauce leftover from my Banana Caramel Cream Pie that I didn't want to go to waste. I just added a splash of the rum and apple cider vinegar it called for. These were great to eat by itself, but dipping it in the caramel sauce takes them over the top. Make these now if you love apples. These will not disappoint.
2 Golden delicious apples (or any apples you have on hand), peeled and core removed
1 1/2 cup self rising flour
1 cup sparkling apple cider
confectioner's sugar for dusting
1 cup caramel sauce
1 cup caramel sauce
splash of rum
splash of apple cider vinegar
1) Preheat oven to 250 deg F. Set a cooling rack on a large shallow pan inside the oven. Heat 2 inches of oil in a pot over medium heat to 275 deg F.
2) Place 1 cup flour in a shallow bowl. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl, beat egg. Stir in apple cider and 1 tablespoon of oil. Pour mixture into the well of flour. Stir with a fork until lumpy batter forms. Set aside.
3) Cut peeled apples crosswise into 1/4" thick slices. Pat apple rings dry.
4) Place 1/2 cup of remaining flour in a small bowl. Dredge 3 apple rings into flour, shaking off excess flour. Then dip apple rings in the wet mixture until well coated. Fry in oil until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer to rack in the oven to keep warm. Dust with confectioner's sugar when ready to serve with caramel sauce.
5) To make the sauce: Combine prepared caramel sauce, a splash of rum, and a splash of apple cider vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir to combine. Heat in microwave for 1 minute. Serve warm with beignets.