Monday, March 7, 2011

Chinese Broccoli Beef Noodle



I came across this when I was looking through some recipes at Steamy Kitchen. I love eating Chinese noodles, specifically Chow Mein. It looked really easy to make, and I had bought a huge batch of thinly sliced beef from Costco that I wanted to use up, so I decided to try to make it for dinner tonight. This recipe called for egg noodles, but it also indicated that you can use spaghetti pasta, which is what I used tonight. I didn't find Chinese broccoli, so I used some broccoli rabe that I found at the supermarket. The flavors of this dish was so yummy. Its reminiscent of Mongolian BBQ that I get at the mall. However, I think I may just use regular broccoli the next time I make this and can't find Chinese broccoli. Broccoli rabe was a little too bitter for this dish. But I'm definitely making this a regular dish at home.

3 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. oyster sauce
3 Tbsp. rice wine or dry white wine
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 lb. beef, thinly sliced
1 lb. fresh or dried noodles/spaghetti pasta
vegetable or canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 lb. Chinese broccoli, regular broccoli, or broccoli rabe
black pepper

1) In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon each of soy sauce, oyster sauce and white wine. Add sugar and continue whisking until sugar dissolves. Stir in cornstarch and continue stirring until smooth. Add sesame oil and beef. Mix well. Marinate for at least 20 minutes. Discard marinade.

2) Cook noodles according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.

3) Heat oil in a wok or skillet over high heat and stir-fry garlic until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add beef, a single layer at a time, and stir-fry until tender, about 1-2 minutes. Add more oil between batches as necessary. Transfer beef to a plate.

4) Heat another 1 tablespoon oil in the wok or skillet over high heat. Stir fry broccoli until they are coated with the oil. Pour 1/4 cup broth and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover broccoli and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer broccoli to the beef plate.

5) Add remaining 3/4 broth, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, oyster sauce and wine to the wok and bring to a boil over high heat. Add noodles and cook until liquid is almost completely evaporated, but lightly moistened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked beef and broccoli and mix thoroughly. Season with pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving platter.

No comments: