In search for a Korean taco recipe (preferably a Kogi taco recipe), I came across two versions. One was with a Kogi BBQ sauce. The other was with a Korean style salsa roja from Closet Cooking. The version with the Kogi BBQ sauce had a slight sweetness to it. This one had a kick to it and was more spicy. Both were equally good, depending on how you like your tacos: sweet or spicy. But I feel that this one was a little bit closer in taste to Kogi's tacos. However, this one required a few more steps. The good thing about this is it made a lot of sauce, so I put the remaining sauce in an airtight container to use again later on. I used my Bulgogi Beef in this recipe and then topped it with a Cabbage/Lettuce slaw. You can also top this with cilantro and chopped onions, as well as kimchi. But we opted to keep it as is. Hubby and I really enjoyed these.
Korean Style Salsa Roja
1/4 lb. plum tomatoes
1/4 lb. tomatillos (husked and washed)
1 cup water
20 dried chiles de arbol
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp. grated garlic
1 Tbsp. grated ginger
2 Tbsp. Korean fermented hot pepper paste (Gochujang)
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. sesame seeds (toasted and crushed)
1) Roast tomatoes and tomatillos until charred on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
2) Place tomatoes, tomatillos, water, chiles, and onion in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and simmer until onions are tender, about 20-30 minutes. Drain and reserve the liquid.
3) Place everything (except the sesame seeds) in a blender or food processor and puree, adding reserved liquid a little at a time to get the desired consistency. Strain liquid. Add prepared sesame seeds.
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
juice of half a lime
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Korean chili powder (Gochugaru)
1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup shredded cabbages
1) Whisk together sesame oil, lime juice, chili powder, and sesame seeds. Toss with lettuce and cabbage.
To assemble the tacos
Korean Style salsa roja
1) Place 2 warm corn tortilla on a plate. Top with cooked beef, 1 teaspoon of sauce, and then cabbage slaw.