Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sotanghon (Filipino Rice Noodle Soup)



This is one of those comfort foods my dad used to make often. Especially when we were sick with a cold. Or if he wanted to make a quick meal for us, because this is a very simple recipe. I haven't made any Filipino dishes in a while and was craving Sotanghon, so I decided to make some for dinner tonight. Just like dad, I make this often when I want to make a quick, hot meal. This is one of my daughters favorite Filipino dishes.

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (boiled and shredded)
6 0z package rice noodles (soaked in warm water for 8 minutes then drained)
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 inch long fresh ginger, julienned
2 quarts chicken broth
1 Tbsp. annato oil (optional for color)
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

1) Heat oil in a pot. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add shredded chicken and cook for another minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in annato oil if using)

2) Add chicken broth and heat until it begins to boil. Add noodles and continue to simmer until noodles are cooked through, about 2 minutes. Serve hot in bowls.

No comments: