Sunday, March 6, 2011

Korean Style Tacos with Kogi BBQ Sauce


Many people know that I have a huge love for Korean Tacos. Preferably from the Kogi truck. Unfortunately, the trucks are not readily accessible. So I don't get to eat it as often I would like. I have been craving for some Kogi tacos lately, but they haven't been anywhere near me. I wondered if anyone on the internet had a similar recipe for Korean tacos and to my surprise, I found a couple of recipes that tried to replicate Kogi tacos. I decided to try both recipes for dinner tonight. This recipe is from Steamy Kitchen, which has become a new favorite blog of mine.

The recipe for Kogi BBQ sauce comes from Kogi chef himself, Roy Choi. I couldn't believe that he actually gave out a recipe, but Jaden managed to nudge one of the owners of Kogi to get this recipe from Chef Roy. The sauce was really simple to make. Its adding all the extra toppings that make the tacos pretty complex, but oh so delicious. I used my recipe for Bulgogi Beef and topped the whole thing with a cabbage/lettuce slaw that I found from another Korean Taco recipe from Closet Cooking. You can also top the taco with onions and cilantro, even Kimchi. But we opted to keep this as is. The end product was something any Korean taco lover would love - Hubby and I included.

Kogi BBQ Sauce
2 Tbsp. Korean fermented hot pepper paste (Gochujang)
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. sesame oil

1) Whisk all ingredients together until sugar has dissolved and mixture is smooth.

To assemble the tacos
1/2 lb. cooked Korean Bulgogi Beef
corn tortillas
cabbage slaw
Kogi BBQ sauce

1) Place 2 warm corn tortilla on a plate. Top with cooked beef, 2 teaspoons of sauce, onion/cilantro mix, kimchi and then cabbage slaw.

No comments: