Sunday, March 20, 2011

Thai Style Sweet and Sour Fish



My parents and lola each had their own versions of Sweet and Sour Fish. I think my parents used a bottled sweet and sour sauce, and lola would make her sauce from scratch. Each were equally delicious. I've missed those days of home-cooking.

Today, I couldn't decide on what to make for dinner. I haven't used my Thai cookbook in a while, so I looked through the recipes and found this easy Sweet and Sour Fish recipe that I decided to try out since I had all the ingredients it called for. The sauce for this dish is a tomato based sauce unlike my parents' or lola's version. It came out delicious and reminiscent of their dishes. I'm glad to have found my own version of this dish. The picture above doesn't do the dish justice. I apologize that its a horrible picture. But just know that hubby was pleased with the end product, as was I.

2 medium or large fish (Tilapia, snapper, mullet), head removed
4 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
2 Tbsp. chopped onions
3 Roma tomatoes, cubed
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. Thai fish sauce
3 Tbsp. water
cilantro, green onions for garnish

1) Rinse and dry fish. Score the skin diagonally on both sides. Lightly coat both fishes all over with 4 teaspoons of cornstarch. Shake off any excess.

2) Heat oil in wok or large frying pan over medium heat. Add fish and cook each side for 6-7 minutes, until brown and crisp.

3) Remove fish and place on a large serving platter. Pour off all but 2 tablespoon oil from the pan. Add garlic, ginger and onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden.

4) Add tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sugar, ketchup and fish sauce. Lower heat and simmer gently for 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding more vinegar, sugar and/or fish sauce if necessary.

5) In a cup, mix the remaining 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water to make a paste or slurry. Stir into the sauce to thicken. Pour finished sauce over the fish. Garnish with coriander and green onions and serve with steamed rice.

No comments: